Friday, February 25, 2011

Ice Castle in the Snow

Nick and I spent last weekend in what is called, "the north country".  It was our first trip to Lake Placid and Saranac Lake during the winter so we were very excited to see what the mountains looked like in the snow.  Needless to say, it was a winter wonderland. 

We just missed Saranac Lake's Winter Carnival but luckily the Ice Palace was still up.  I say lucky because only days before the weather was warmer and it started to thaw all the snow and ice.   Since the Palace melted a bit the days before, it was closed to the public for fear that chunks of the ice and snow would fall off.

The Ice Palace has a special place in the hearts of those in the area since one has been built every winter since 1898. 

Later in the day I headed into Lake Placid in hopes of finding a gift.  I did not find what I was looking for, but I did get a shot of the dog sleds on the lake. 

Sorry that the dogs are small, but the lake is pretty big.

No comments:

Post a Comment